Sunday, January 31, 2010

New Challenge: Banking!

As a Hite, I am notoriously poor at managing my money. The only person in my family that has always been good with it since forever that I can really be sure about is Karl. He never trusted banks and instead kept all of his money in a Gundam pencil case tin. When he finally had real income, Karl had to enlist the help of a major banking firm and to ensure his money's safety, Karl buried the Gundam tin right outside the bank near the entryway. I am not this awesome. I am in fact anti-awesome at banking. The only thing I have going for me is that the more money I have, the better I am at keeping/managing it. I rarely have enough money for this to come into play. Therefore, my next challenge for 2010 is to help me overcome my constant fear of overdraft. This is a major problem to fix and comes in many parts.

PART I: Budget
I will make myself a weekly budget that includes all of the necessities and niceties of living; food, gas, rent, entertainment, utilities, and free money. I will stick to this budget. I will put my budget in my wallet, on my wall, and all over my planner.

PART II: Bills
I will pay my bills on time and with no grief. I am lucky to be able to have the conveniences that are directly associated with bills and I will therefore smile as I give Portland General Electric $30 a month.

PART III: Balance
I will balance my checkbook and keep a current and complete record of all transactions made. I will keep one for my checking, savings, and credit card accounts. I will see where I spend my money and adjust my spending accordingly.

It's a nice, simple, and complete plan for altering my spending/banking. I can dig on this. I'll make it happen.

1 comment:

Betsy Hite Reddoch said...

Great goal. Though I will have to count myself as a fully financially rehabilitated Hite these day. I'm actually MUCH better at dealing with money than the Nickster, but he's learning. The most important thing is to start with a plan/budget and then stick to it, so you're headed in the right direction!